Virtual Appliance under VirtualBox
These instructions were added to the 4.1.0 Appliance User Manual
[VirtualBox] is an alternate virtual machine to the VMware player. It is free, open source software like OpenEMR. It can use the same virtual machine files as VMWare player. This page documents how I set up VirtualBox to run.
In order to run the OpenEMR virtual appliance under [VirtualBox] you need to perform a few additional steps.
the process in overview is:
- download and install VirtualBox
- download and unpack the appliance
- use a 'wizard' to make a machine description file to tell virtual box where the virtual machine files are and change some settings
- run the virtual machine
- install virtualbox from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
- download the virtual appliance .zip file as shown on OpenEMR_4.0.0_Virtual_Appliance
- unpack the virtual appliance .zip file into a directory.
- Make a note of the directory path for later use.
- Set up the machine description file
- start virtualbox, it should start at the virtual machine manager window
- create the file
- in the virtualbox manager window, select 'New' (looks like a blue sun)
- click Next to get past the 'Welcome to the New Virtual machine wizard' intro window
- enter a name for the VM in the name box. This is how the machine will be listed in the virtual machine manager list of VMs
- change the Operating System to 'Linux' with the dropdown box, Version defaults to Ubuntu, leave that as is.
- click 'Next'
- click 'Next' again to use the default ram size for the VM of 512MB
- click the 'Use existing hard disk' radio button
- click the folder icon to the right of the dropdown box to open up a file navigation window
- navigate to the directory where the openemr appliance files were unpacked earlier
- select the 'base' vmdk file - for the openemr-4-0-0-appliance-1 version I used for this, that file is called 'OpenEMR-3-0-1-appliance-1-cl3.vmdk'. (no -sxxx on the end)
- click 'Open' in the 'choose a virtual hard disk file' selection window
- click 'Next' to get to the summary window
- check over the settings, then click 'Finish'.
- adjust the setting of the file
- make sure the machine description you just made is highlighted in the manager window, then click settings (gold gear icon)
- click on 'system' in the left window pane
- you should be on the 'motherboard' tab, click on 'extended features: enable IO APIC checkbox'
- select the 'processor' tab, click on Enable PAE/NX
- click on 'storage' in the left window pane
- under 'IDE contoller' in the storage tree there should be an image of a CDROM labelled 'Empty'. Click to select it
- in the other half of the window under 'Attributes' there is a small disc icon next the CD/DVD Drive field. Click on it
- select the name of the DVD drive under the host OS, for me it was 'host drive E:'
- under attributes, there should now be a checkbox called 'passthrough', click to select it
- click on the 'network' in the left window pane
- in the 'adapter 1' tab, where it says Attached to: change it to 'Bridged Adapter' using the dropdown menu
- change the name to the name of the network adapter to be used. On my laptop it shows two entries, one for wifi and one for ethernet. I used the wifi
- click on 'OK' at the bottom of the window to save the settings.
- click 'start' to run the virtual machine
- done! continue configuring OpenEMR as shown in the virtaul appliance user's manual