What is OpenEMR?
OpenEMR is the most popular open source electronic health records and medical practice management solution. It is maintained by a vibrant community of volunteers and support professionals. The system is a Complete EHR, downloaded more than 5,000 times per month, and has an estimated usage by 100,000 medical providers across many borders and languages. As a leader in open-source healthcare software, OpenEMR provides an unparallelled and fully customizable experience for your healthcare facility.
In the US, it has been estimated that there are more than 5,000 installations of OpenEMR in physician offices and other small healthcare facilities serving more than 30 million patients. Internationally, it has been estimated that OpenEMR is installed in over 15,000 healthcare facilities, translating into more than 45,000 practitioners using the system which are serving greater than 90 million patients. The Peace Corps plan to incorporate OpenEMR into their EHR system. Siaya District Hospital, a 220-bed hospital in rural Kenya, is using OpenEMR. HP India is planning to utilize OpenEMR for their Mobile Health Centre Project. There are also articles describing single clinician deployments and a free clinic deployment. Internationally, it is known that there are practitioners in Pakistan, Puerto Rico, Australia, Sweden, the Netherlands, Israel, India, Malaysia, Nepal, Indonesia, Bermuda, Armenia, Kenya, and Greece that are either testing or actively using OpenEMR for use as a free electronic medical records program in the respective languages.
Rod Roark, a programmer; Dr. Brady Miller; Robert Down, BSN, RN; Jerry Padgett, engineer and programmer; and Stephen Waite are the project’s administrators. Everything is here: https://www.open-emr.org/
- OpenEMR Releases Medical Image Viewing Support
- OpenEMR Launches Easy Install Option for Amazon’s Cloud Services
- OpenEMR Cloud Express Now Available on AWS Marketplace
- OpenEMR 2017 Year in Review
- Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico, and the success of OpenEMR customers
- Embracing Docker
- Accepting Donations on OpenCollective
- Students Showcase Solutions for Developing Nations at HealthHacks 2017
- OpenEMR at WONCA SAR
- Top parts of http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_Success_Stories
Core Roadmap Projects:
- Affordable Medical Devices Connectivity
Affordable and high quality hardware to provide low resource users datacentric medical devices.
- Units Support
Support for hospitalized patient management.
- Team Tasks Management
Real time, teamcentric care module.
- Advanced Billing
UB04 and modern billing capabilities out of the box.
- Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) Integration
JSON based healthcare schema that is the future of healthcare data modeling.
- Modern Cloud Solutions
Ongoing support and development of OpenEMR Cloud.
- Quality Reporting
Ability to export more actionable and comprehensive medical reports.
- Realistic Test Data Generation
Lifelike fake seed data for demos, academic use cases, and QA.
- Clinical Intelligence Dashboards
Big data analytics platform for better understanding a patient population and trends.
- Intelligent Chart Summarization
User-friendly clinical natural language processing to transform plain text into structured medical data.
- Normalized Code Directory Structure
Legacy code organization overhaul.
- Separation of Business Logic Code
Legacy code refactor overhaul.
- Module Framework
Legacy architecture overhaul.
- Frontend User Interface Rework
Modern UI frameworks and best practices to improve user experiences.
- Telemedicine Support
Patient video encounters support.
- Speech Dictation Documentation
Easy to use documentation to configure speech dictation support.
- Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS)
Game changing radiology integration and viewing technology.
- Medical Administration Record
Electronic module to improve patient system and streamline clinical documentation processes.
- Remote Patient Vitals Module
Low resource solution to remotely monitor patient vitals via SMS on an interval basis.
People to meet
- Dr. Brady Miller
Chief Executive Officer (Executive Director)
- Stephen Waite
Chief Financial Officer
- Dr. Andre Millet
Chief Medical Officer
- Matthew Vita
Chief Technology Officer
- Robert Down, BSN, RN
Chief Information Officer
- Asher Densmore-Lynn
- Daniel Ehrlich
- Jason Oettinger
- Joyce Boyd, DNP, NP
Educator, Nurse practitioner
- Dani S
- Roberto Vasquez
- Jerry Padgett
- Daniel Ehrlich
- Sherwin Gaddis
- Sena Palanisami
- Jit Chawl
- Lou Galterio
What is OEMR
OEMR is a non-profit organization formed to ensure that all people, regardless of race, socioeconomic status or geographic location, have access to high-quality medical care through the donation of free, open source medical software and service relating to that software. OEMR has an open policy for membership and accepts donations. OEMR supports the OpenEMR project and uses OpenEMR software as an instrument to effect its goals.http://www.oemr.org/. Maybe check out the past few meetings here: https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OEMR_wiki_page#Meetings (recorded)
- How to guides: https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_5.0.0_Users_Guide
- Old version of software, but still a great playlist
- Forums and support: https://community.open-emr.org/
- Chat and support: https://www.open-emr.org/chat
- Code repository: https://github.com/openemr (project mgmt. happens here as well)
- Please join the Saturday calls, you can read about the latest ones here: https://community.open-emr.org/t/weekly-conference-call
- We use email a lot too